Monday, January 31, 2011

Day Four: "What are you doing, bro?"

Hi everyone! Today was my fourth day of student teaching and it went very well!

My first period humanities class was good...the kids in there are definitely high powered students. They were sort of quiet today but it was basically their first day since Ms. G was absent on Friday. We played an ice breaker with them where they picked a term, defintion, or example out of a hat then had to find the two other people that went with them. Then they introduced themselves and gave their own example of the term they had. It went very well. Next they broke into groups and went over a poem called "Thesaurus" and we discussed it as a class. Finally, Ms. G introduced Plato's "Allegory of the Cave," which they will read for homework tonight.

Second period was Modern American Lit with my lower level students. After going over classroom rules and policies they played the ice breaker Student Bingo. They bingo cards had things like "Born in a state other than Massachusetts," "plays an instrument," etc. on them and they had to go around and find people to fit each square. It went well and they did not get out of control or too loud which I was pleasantly surprised about. Next we did a Jump-In response to the short story "The Father." A Jump-In is when the desks are arranged into a circle and the students sit on the desks facing the middle. Someone starts the discussion and whoever wants to respond or bring up a new idea literally jumps into the middle where they get to talk. Only one person is allowed standing at a time. They were sort of shy but several students took turns going in and out of the circle.

My third period Humanities class is a great group! They are already comfortable and talkative with each other which is great. Before lunch we went to the computer lab to look at a comic strip that was a great illustration of "Allegory." The students seemed to like it and said that the visual component helped them understand the story better. Then it was lunch time which is always fun because a great group of teachers, including Drew and Colleen, have lunch at the same time as I do. I feel like all the teachers have really welcomed us and include us in their conversations. Then it was back to class where the students were broken up into groups of four and were given directions on making a skit, story, visual, etc. on a modernization of the "Allegory." They could choose whatever scenario they came up with and some of them sound really interesting so far. They had half the block to prepare today and will get half the block tomorrow, taking the second half to present their stories to the class. I look forward to seeing what they come up with. When I was observing in the fall I saw students in a different class do the same activity and they did such a great job!

Fourth period I had off and I was planning on doing some prep work for my mini unit on Hemingway but I ended up just talking to Ms. G the entire time. That was okay though because we got to know one another better which I think is important.

Oh! And my outfit! Today I wore black pants, flat black shoes and a white button shirt. Somehow (I literally have NO idea how) during first period, my pen got stuck in my hair (I know, right?) and I ended up getting blue pen on the front of my crisp white shirt. So I spent the rest of the day making sure my hair was covering it. I think I succeeded in hiding it all day but I KNOW someone must have caught me with a pen hanging from my hair. Oh well!

So now I'm home listening to the weather and trying to figure out if I'll have another snow day this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment