Friday, January 28, 2011

Day Three: First Day With My Students!

Today was my first real day of school! I have 3 classes, 2 Humanities and 1 Modern American Lit. My first 2 periods I have with my cooperating teacher who I will call Ms. G. Ms. G. wasn't there today so there was a sub which was sort of annoying. I didn't really get to meet the kids since they were left some silent assignments to do. First block I had Humanities, which is a Level 1 Honors class. Since they were only writing reflection papers I couldn't get a good sense of who they are but they seemed to be working hard and staying on task. I read their response papers and was able to get some background information on them and their families, what they like to do, etc. I love learning that stuff about them. I want to do my best to try to bring their interests into my lessons and connect with them about stuff that we have in common.

Second block I was in the same room, this time for Modern American Lit. This class is a lower level 2/3 course which will be somewhat of a challenge. They also only did silent work since there was a sub so I didn't get to know them much either. I have only made it through some of their response papers but a lot of them have talked about how they don't really like English as a subject and don't like to read or write. I even have an ESL student so that will definitely be a challenge but I'm glad that I will be exposed to all different types of learners and personalities.

Third block I had another Humanities class, this time with my second cooperating teacher, who I will call Ms. E. The class read Plato's Allegory of the Cave and responded to it in a class discussion. They did really well with it and so many different kids were raising their hands to talk, which was awesome! They had second lunch so after meeting for 20 or so minutes they headed off to lunch and I went upstairs to the English lunchroom. A great group of teachers has lunch that block so they were all there AND Drew and Colleen have that lunch too so it's perfect. After lunch I went back to Humanities for 40 minutes then class was over.

I have fourth block off so I went to grab the keys from Drew to use the restroom then spent the rest of the time in the English workroom reading my students' reflection essays. Before I knew it it was 2:05 and the bell to end the day was ringing. I went to Mr. G's room (he is our supervisor who we had as one of our ed teachers and is one of Drew's cooperating teachers). I met Drew and Colleen there and we got our coats, which we left in Mr. G.'s closet. Then it was off to the car to meet Mary.

All in all it was a reallyyy good day! I love having last block off and I can't wait to start really diving into the material and interacting with the kids. And I didn't even need a nap after school! Yay! Oh, and I figured I would fill all of you in on my new adorable teacher clothes! So today I got to wear jeans because it's Friday, then I wore a light blue collarded button down with flat blue shoes. The other day I wore skinny black dress pants, an off-white cami, and a purple sweater over it with flat black shoes. And, oh so cute, me and Drew have matched both days so far! And he definitely hates me for saying that :)

Now it's the weekend! Tonight Josh and I are going to the Merrimack-UVM hockey game here at school. Tomorrow they are playing again and it's on NESN which is really cool! We are going, obviously, and so are my mom and dad and Josh's dad. It should be really fun!

Enjoy your weekend!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment