Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day One: DONE!

Today I started my student teaching journey!

It was not a regular school day today; it was the make-up exam day, so basically anyone who missed an exam last week came to take it today. So there were only about 20 kids in the building all day which was good because it gave us a whole day in the school to just get stuff done, meet people, etc.

Colleen, Drew, Mary and I carpooled in this morning which was good. When we got there Mary headed off to the science wing of the building and the three of us went to the main office where we met some lady who brought us to the English Chair's office. She wasn't there so we looked around at the English work room (where we can go during our prep period) and the English lunch room. We then went over to our coordinators classroom, who is Drew's cooperating teacher. We hung around and chatted with him for a while until the English Department meeting at 9. The three of us sat in on the meeting then afterwards we each went to see our cooperating teachers. We went over a few things with them in terms of the units we will be teaching and how the first few days will go. After a while of meeting we all met for lunch and discussed all the things we are nervous/excited about. I am SO glad that Drew and Colleen are with me; I would have felt so much more overwhelmed today without them. I'm excited that we can share ideas and work together on lesson planning. It's also good that we can have 2 other people who know exactly what we are feeling and going through.

After lunch we each met with our second cooperating teachers. We each have 2 classes with 1 teacher and 1 class with another teacher. My meeting with my second teacher didn't last very long so I went back to first teacher. Drew happened to be in the same room because his second teacher and my first share a room. His teacher decided to take us to the copy room to get us used to using the machines so we did that for about a half hour then went back to the room for a little while. Finally, we met Colleen in the library and got our stuff together to head home.

All in all it was a good day and I'm glad we had such a quiet day to get used to being there. I'm not nearly as tired as I expected to be, although I'm sure there will be days that I am beyond exhausted. Tomorrow is the first day of the new semester so I'll get to meet all of my new students which I'm super excited about. It is supposed to snow tonight though so there is a chance that we have a snow day. We'll see.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment