Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Only a day away...

I begin student teaching tomorrow and I'm supposed to keep a journal so I figured I would share my experiences with everyone. I will be teaching 11th and 12th grade English at Andover High School. 

I am nervous yet excited. I'm nervous about the logistics, like getting up on time, getting to school, what to do with my things when I first get there, etc. I do not take over the classes until mid February so I'm not super nervous about that stuff...yet. On Day 6 I will, however, be presenting a mini lesson for one of the classes so I'm sure I'll start to get nervous about that soon. 

As nervous as I am...I think I'm going to be really good at this. Maybe that's naive or unrealistic but I've never wanted to be anything but a teacher and now taking the first step to making that dream a reality. I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed and exhausted at times but I know I can do this. My professor gave me a great piece of advice: "Don't make little things into big things." I'm sure that will come in handy the first time I have something go wrong in class like a lesson or activity that doesn't go well or a student who constantly acts out. 

I always get nervous about changes in schedule but I'll have to get used to not being home for lunch with my roommates and not texting my boyfriend constantly throughout the day but I know everything will work out. 

So...this blog is a place for me to vent about and discuss what is going on in my student teaching. I hope that this blog will not only benefit myself but all of you, my wonderful family and friends who I know I won't be able to keep in touch with over the next few months as much as I wish I could. Everything in this blog will be anonymous, that is I will not reference students, teachers, administrators, by name. I hope you enjoy going on this journey with me!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment