Thursday, April 14, 2011

One more day...

Get ready for a sentimental blog post...

I have one day left of student teaching and, although it's been stressful and hard, I don't want it to end. I definitely never thought that I would say that but it's true.

Student teaching has been the experience of a lifetime. I learned more these past twelve weeks than I ever imagined. No sum of education or English classes could ever have taught me the things I've learned about how to be teacher. I can see so much growth in myself in terms of my content knowledge and educational strategies.

There was a time in my life where I suffered (and I do mean suffered) from anxiety and panic attacks and the thought of sitting through a block class, let alone teaching one, seemed too great a challenge to even consider. The fact that I just taught for over 320 hours is sort of mind boggling to me right now. I can honestly say that I am so proud of myself.

Tomorrow will be a bittersweet day. I'll be thankful that I've made it and it's over and I can relax somewhat but I will truly miss going to school everyday. I have formed such connections with everyone that I've encountered over these past 12 weeks. First and foremost I have to thank Colleen and Drew (who will tease me endlessly about how sentimental I am). I cannot imagine going through this experience alone. Having those two to vent with, bounce ideas off of, eat lunch with, etc. made all the difference in the world. The three of us have, in my eyes, become so close because we've shared an experience that no one else will ever truly understand. They kept me sane on days when I wanted to cry and celebrated with me whenever I triumphed. We shared books, ideas, worksheets, laughs, frustrations and near-tears. I am so grateful for the two close friends that I now have in them. Also, Mary and Aubrey, the other two in our carpool. I definitely won't miss having to sit in the middle of the small backseat crowded with five student teachers but I'll miss our car chats and the fact that we heard Rihanna's "S&M" every single day on the ride to school. I'll even miss our "agreement." I'll especially miss our morning routine: Park, walk upstairs, bye Aubrey, walk more, bye Mary, drop off lunch, head to Gangi's room, put coats in closet, etc. Seems simple and stupid but I'll miss it. That brings me to Mr. Gangi. He sort of felt like our protector over at AHS. He had our backs and he had the answers to all of endless questions. He let us steal tests out of his recycling bin and even bought us a cake with our names on it to celebrate our student teaching being over. He is a wise man and someone who I hope to keep in touch with and continue to learn from. My cooperating teacher, Ms. Giggie, was beyond amazing. She helped me grow and develop as a teacher more than any other single person. Her guidance allowed me to succeed and blossom. Her criticisms were constructive and helpful and her praise was meaningful. My other cooperating teacher, Ms. Emory, was the kindest soul and provided much needed relief and personal encouragement whenever I needed it. The entire English department at AHS took us under their wing and guided and supported all of us. Mr. Pellerin, Mrs. Waylan, Mr. Shea, Ms. Parsons and Ms. Percival seemed to take a special interest in us and we all learned so much from them.

But of course, I'll miss my students more than anything. I am proud of the fact that I formed personal connections and relationships with literally all of them and I will truly miss seeing them everday. The thought of someone else teaching them for the rest of the year makes me sad. The hardest part of teaching for me will definitely be the end of the year when my students have to move on, yet it will also be my proudest. I know that they will succeed and I hope to keep in touch with them to keep track of their successes. I almost can't even write about them right now because I'm still dealing with the fact that tomorrow is my last day with them.

As for my plans after student teaching, I was accepted into a Teaching Fellowship Masters Program through Merrimack. I will be placed in a school (I'll find out what one on April 28) and teach for a year, earning my M.Ed. I plan to continue with my blog to keep everyone updated on how things are going.

Thank you everyone who has been keeping up! Sorry I lagged in the middle, I never expected to be so busy!

With love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment